Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Biking

Two weekends ago I finally bought a bike. It has been on my list for a while, but I stalled because I didn't want to pay the price tag for a new bike or reasonably good quality. Luckily I found an inexpensive used bike that seemed to be in very good working order, so I bought it.

Ideally I'd like to ride my bike to work on at least a semi-regular basis, but for someone who hasn't really used a bike much in the past 8+ years, the 6 mile ride to work (plus another 6 miles back) seemed like it might be a bit too much for me at first. In an effort to work myself up to it, I've made it a point to get out riding on the weekend. Last Sunday my roommate and I went out for a 12 mile ride. It kind of wiped me out, but gave me the confidence that riding to work was within my ability.

Today I tested that theory out, and I'm happy to say that I did make it all the way to work by bike. I even took a slightly longer route than I had to (maybe 2 extra miles) so that I could enjoy a bike trail rather than the road. I certainly don't expect that I will bike to work every day, but I'm hoping I can manage it at least a couple of times each week.

No comments: