Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Whew!

This morning I had the unfortunate surprise of my car not starting. Actually it did start, and I pulled out of my parking space. Then the engine died and wouldn't start again. It wouldn't give me so much as the slightest try. Ugh. Now I had to get my car out of the way of another car and get to work.

I tried everything I could think of, which wasn't much. Mostly it was just opening the hood and staring at everything in there. I did locate the fuse box and verify that the fuse wasn't blown. I also convinced myself that it wasn't a dead battery. The radio and the lights still worked. I hadn't left my lights on or anything. Also, the car started up easily the first time.

Eventually I called Steve Palladino and he came over. He helped me push my car back into a parking space, then I dropped him off and borrowed his car for the day. The whole thing only put me back about 75 minutes. During the day I called a few mechanics, and one of them suggested that it really did sound like a dead battery. I came home, tried to jump start it, and it worked. The whole thing only cost me $20, and now I own jumper cables. Oh, it also cost me something to drive around for 40 minutes to charge the battery.

A few things are still a mystery to me. First, why did the engine die when I pulled out of my parking spot? Second, what drained my battery? I'm almost certain that I didn't leave the lights on. Oh well, what's life without a few mysteries?

No comments: