Wednesday, May 10, 2006

More On Linux

I have continued to use Linux at work almost exclusively. In fact, I only booted into Windows once last week, and that was only to load some new music into iTunes, and then I was back to Linux. This week the only time I've booted into Windows so far was an accident, so I didn't even log in. Needless to say, I've been happy with the environment, and continue to gain skill with the Linux and related tools.

Yesterday someone taught me how to compile and install the Linux kernel, which was convenient since a new version just came out. I just went through and trimmed a bunch of features out of my kernel. By default the Gentoo kernel installs with support for a lot of things that I will never use (like random motherboard chipsets and read support for Apple's file system). One feature in particular made me wonder a little:
Support for hot-pluggable CPUs
Fortunately that one is disabled by default. Still, I'm wondering who would actually have a real use for that.

Ok, my kernel is done compiling. Time to see if I accidentally removed any kernel options that I actually do need...

Update: Success!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you play your 'itunes music' when you are in linux? is there software that will play protected songs?

Philip said...

All of my music is in MP3 format from CDs I've ripped myself. I just use iTunes when I'm in Windows because I like the way it organizes my music for me. I haven't found a music player I like quite as well in Linux yet, although it looks like someday the Mozilla based Songbird may become my player of choice for all environments. Right now my two top picks for music players in Linux are:

Rhythmbox, which is like iTunes, but not as good.

XMMS, a WinAmp clone.

As far as protected formats go, I know that there exist libraries for some proprietary formats, and I suspect that there are libraries for playing iTunes protected format, although I haven't looked, and technically that would be illegal in the US, similar to watching DVDs on Linux.

Anonymous said...

I'm having pretty much the same experience as you with regard to not using Windows anymore. I think the easier distributions of Linux are getting pretty close to Window's usability for most typical computer uses.