Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Almost Humorous Conversation

I'll should qualify the title a bit. The conversation could have (but didn't happen). If it had happened, it would have been funny.

Setup: A close friend of mine in Santa Barbara just got engaged. He is also a big Cardinals fan. I talked to him on Saturday, at which point he was engaged and the Cardinals had won the World Series, neither of which I yet knew. If I had known about the Cardinals winning the World Series, it is quite possible the following conversation could have occurred:

Me: Congratulations! (Meaning the Cardinals)
Joel: Thanks, but how did you find out. (Thinking I meant the engagement but not knowing how I could possibly know yet because they hadn't told much of anyone outside of their families yet.)
Me: Um... isn't it public information?
Joel: Really?!? I didn't realize.
Me: Come on, it's all over the Internet.
Joel: ... (Confused silence)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the story, but the reveal goes way better at the end.

Philip said...

I didn't even think about that. I just wrote it the way it went through my head. I guess that's why you are writing novels and just blog a little now and then.

Anonymous said...

It's a little late, and I don't know who Joel is, but it made me laugh out loud