Thursday, August 18, 2005

Joining in Suffering

So that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
(1 Corinthians 12: 25-26)
Over the past week, two friends have hit particularly difficult events in their lives. Both have opened deep parts of their hearts to me and brought me into their pain. It has had an amazing effect on me. I feel honored that they would trust me with the pain in their hearts. I feel honored just to be able to sit with them, listen to them, cry for them, and pray for them. I feel pain at the hurts they are experiencing, yet I also find great hope in the healing and transforming power of God.

More than that, God has shown me healing for the hurts that my heart is holding. So many times I have felt locked out from people in my life when I know they are hurting. I've felt the unspoken message again and again of "I don't trust you." I know that isn't what people are trying to say, but all too often that is how it has felt. There was something so powerful for me about being let in. For someone letting me be a part of their lamenting and healing process. It is amazing to know that they trust me with the weakest, most vulnerable parts of their heart.

This relates directly back to India too. As my time in India went on, more and more I had trouble bringing myself to care about the pain around me. It didn't matter if it was the pain of boys at Nabo Jibon, the pain of people on the street, or even Todd's (my closest companion throughout the journey) pain. My heart was just closing. A lot of it was probably just being overwhelmed by the magnitude of the pain around me. I hated feeling numb inside, but eventually I just came to accept it. The past week I've been able to suffer with people to a depth I haven't been capable of for months. Somehow Jesus has brought me back to a place where I can weep and cry out to God for the pain of those I love. It has been something I have really needed, even if I didn't realize it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Thanks for sharing this Phil. It's yet another reassurance of the incarnate presence of God in our hearts. Beauty in the midst of suffering. Thanks for the reminder.

-Lina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing in my suffering.
Means a lot....

-your LAUP buddy