Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Saturday

Last weekend I was down in LA. The primary reason I went down was to go to this year's LAUP visiting day. As usual, once I've got an excuse to be down there anyway, I quickly fill the rest of my schedule visiting people. As it turned out, Saturday ended up being quite a roller-coaster of a day. Here are some highlights and lowlights of the day:
  • In the morning, a group of ten of us hiked up part of Mount Baldy. There wasn't much parking at the base of the trail, so Jon and I used one large parking spot for both of our cars. There was just barely enough space to park like that, and no room to get out once I was parked. Apparently that's what trunks are for.
  • After the hike Jordan and I were going to carpool to the LAUP event. That's when we discovered that Jordan's car had been broken into. You can read his description of it here.
  • I drove to the LAUP gathering along with some other Claremont folk. By the time we fought through a lot of bad LA traffic, the official time slot was past the halfway mark. Fortunately things like that never end on time anyway, and I was grateful for the time I got.
  • Phone message #1: My Mom let me know that my cat, Grey, had been put to sleep and was buried. When I left home to come down to California this time, I knew that it was unlikely that I would see her again. Just seeing her after coming back from India was an amazing gift from God (See this and this). Certainly I wasn't happy to hear it, but it was a lot easier to deal with than it had been in India.
  • Phone message #2: Recently my Grandfather had been diagnosed with cancer. This message was the news that the cancer is still localized so that a single surgery will remove all of it.
There was other stuff that happened too, but that hits the basics. I could also get a lot more into the emotions the day left me with, but I just don't have the time. I can thank God for one day like that, and also thank Him that not every day is like that.

No comments: