Wednesday, January 11, 2006

One Way or Another, I'll Get My Dancing In

Since before I moved to Santa Barbara there's been an Arthur Murray Dance Studio that has been nice enough to offer their floor to swing dancers for free 9:00-11:00 every Wednesday night. They recently decided to stop doing that, which was quite a disappointment to me. Now the only swing I have in Santa Barbara is every other Friday night.

Fortunately I've discovered a few other outlets. First off, it turns out that there is swing down in Ventura (about 30 miles "south") on the alternate Friday nights, so it looks like some of us will go down there at least this Friday, and I suspect some others as well.

Second, I discovered that there is a six week Balboa class offered on Wednesday nights. Tonight was the first night, and I figured it was about time for me to learn Balboa*. It was a lot of fun. Unlike the dance classes I took in college, tonight I was substantially below the average age. Also the ratio was closer to 1:1 (women:men) than it was to 3:2. In college it seemed like most classes the women were lucky if it was better than 2:1. In any case, soon I may be semi-competent in Balboa.

*: Part of my intermediate Lindy Hop class in college did one or two lessons on Balboa, but I never learned it that well to begin with, and have since then forgotten most of it.

No comments: