Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Identity and Value

Last Sunday at Church the pastor left me with a new insight into identity. He was talking about American materialism, and how easy it is for Americans to place our identity and value in what we have - My mind glossed over that. After all, I don't have all that much stuff compared to most people I know, and I spend very little money on anything other than the basics of living (rent, food, etc) - Then came the kicker... If we don't put our identity in what we do have, then we put it in what we don't have.

As soon as he said it I realized that describes me. I am quite proud of my simple tastes and my ability to live well below my means. I'm glad that there is no TV in my apartment, and I chose my car to be simple and practical. I place part of my identity and value in what I don't have rather than in Christ.

Recently I've realized more and more my tendencies to put my value in my "Christian" behaviors rather than in Christ. This is entirely backwards from what the Bible teaches. God wants me to know that I am valuable because I am loved by him. God wants my heart to be transformed and for me to live in joyful submission to him.

Early every Tuesday morning I meet at Church to spend an hour in prayer with others. These times of prayer have a very different feel than I had ever known prayer before. There is little or no intercession, instead the time is spent praying very relational prayers for ourselves and our Church. We are praying to grow closer to God and to focus ourselves on Christ. Don't get me wrong - I think that intercession is incredibly important - but I'm realizing just how valuable it is to spend that time every week just coming together to focus on God through prayer. That is the center of the Christian life. Everything else flows from there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying this.