Sunday, October 31, 2004

LA Visit

I was down in LA this weekend visiting people. I had a really great time, and wish I could have spent a lot more time with a lot more people. If you didn't get to see me, I'm sorry. I'll try to find a two day period with more than 49 hours next time.

Seeing as I'm headed to India, it was really great to talk to Rose and Jon about their experiences in India last summer. It added both to my excitement, and to my uneasiness. More and more I'm realizing how challenging those four months will be. I suspect that realization will have a dramatic jump once I actually get there.

Sunday morning, before I left Inglewood to head back to Santa Barbara, I noticed something unexpected about myself. I was nervous being a racial minority. Since I had gotten used to it at Harambee this summer, I didn't expect it. I have a few theories as to what may have caused this. At Harambee I was almost always with someone else from my team. People in the neighborhood seemed used to the idea that white guys were around helping out at Harambee, so I didn't feel so out of place. Finally, after all of the stories I've heard from Jon about Inglewood, Harambee just feels like a safer place. Whatever the roots of this really are, I'm sure these feelings will intensify while I'm in Calcutta. God has a lot to teach me about myself.

1 comment:

Chequelin said...

Super excited for you bro.