Saturday, April 09, 2005

Week #1 is Over

Yesterday (Friday) was the end of our first "week" of work in Sri Lanka. Granted we only worked for three days, but it still seemed like a lot. I don't think any of us are used to doing so much physical labor, and the sun is absolutely brutal. I put on SPF 50 sunscreen twice yesterday and still ended up with a bit of a sunburn on the back of my neck. It probably doesn't help that everyone on the team is taking doxycycline to prevent malaria. One of it's side effects is that it makes you more sensitive to sunlight.

We weren't able to get a water pump yesterday, so we just left the hole alone and switched to another job for the day. We quickly discovered that digging a hole in a shaded area was pretty much a cushy job compared to moving rubble in direct sunlight. Supposedly we'll be able to rent a pump starting on Monday for about $12 (US) per day. I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I don't think we're past all of the complications yet. Whether we get a pump or not, I'm sure they'll have more work for us. Keep praying for us!

No comments: