Saturday, April 16, 2005

Will We Ever Work Again?

The last time our team did any work was Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon they didn't have anything we could work on. Wednesday and Thursday the whole town pretty much shut down to celebrate New Year's Eve/Day. Friday the skilled laborers took off to make a five day weekend. There are also some problems right now with Habitat For Humanity in Galle not having money. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. I gather that it's a bit of a complex administrative issue, although a simple shortage of funds may be involved too.

The lack of work is getting somewhat frustrating for all of us. While it was nice to have a bunch of days off, this is starting to feel more like a Sri Lankan vacation than anything else. Supposedly there will be work for us again on Monday. Please pray both that there will be stuff for us to do and that whatever problems Habitat is having, they can resolve them and get back to helping people recover from the tsunami.

3 comments:

mishi said...

Hey Phil, is there some way that I can donate to that particular habitat for humanity? Northrop has a donation matching thing for tsunami relief, and I know that they don't give to overtly religious groups, so I've been trying to decide who I wanted to donate to. Let me know if you find anything out,

Thanks,
Michelle

Philip said...

I'm pretty sure that there is a way. The way I know of is to put it through Word Made Flesh, designating it for the tsunami. That's probably too overtly religious though. I'll ask about it and get back to you if I can figure out how. I suspect that if you go to H4H's website you can give them money specifically for tsunami relief, although I'm not sure you would be able to designate it for Galle, Sri Lanka.

Philip said...

Ok, I asked Ben about it. He says that all he knows about is giving it through Word Made Flesh. He says that you can certainly give to H4H directly, although you'll have to talk to them to figure out if you can specifically direct the funds. Take a look at their website, it may have some information.