Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Another Great Reason to Bike to Work

Time: 6:00pm.

Me: I'm heading out for the day.
Office Mate: Wait! I need some help figuring out what in the world you did to this code. It doesn't make any sense anymore and I need to work with it now.
Me: Geee... I'd love to help you, but I biked to work today, and if I don't head out soon it will be dark before I get home. I don't want to get hit by a car.
Office Mate: Grumble. Fine, you win. It may be expected of engineers to swamp their lives with work, but I can't ask you to trade your life for work... this time. Mark my words, we will meet again... slacker.
Me: So I'll see you tomorrow morning?
Office Mate: Naw, I'm going to ditch work the next two days and enjoy a four day weekend. If anyone wants me, tell them I'm really busy with some project they aren't involved in, and that I may be hard to track down for a bit.
Me: Ummm... Ok.

Alright, so it didn't go quite like that, but the idea was there. Sort of. My office mate wanted help with some code that I had modified, specifically how it interacted with other code that someone else had written. I only took five minutes to help him, so I just explained it to him then. It occurred to me, however, that if it was a more involved problem, then having a bike as my transportation would have given me a strong reason to wait until the morning to deal with the problem.

No comments: