Sunday, October 09, 2005

IV in IV

Last Friday night some people from my Church (myself included) went to help out with an IV (InterVarsity) outreach event in IV (Isle Vista). In case you aren't familiar with it, IV is an area near UCSB primarily inhabited by college students. There is a huge drunken party scene there. IV decided to go down there to just bless IV on a Friday night with free doughnuts and root beer floats. It was an interesting night, and certainly gave me some flashbacks to my college days at Mudd. People were all over the map when we talked to them. Some were incredibly thankful. Others didn't trust us at all and figured there had to be something wrong with the doughnuts. I saw a lot of the tugs of peer pressure. There were people that wanted to stop and talk to us, but their friends pulled them away to get to the next party. Here is the conversation I got a real kick out of:

Drunken Woman: What's wrong with these doughnuts?
Me: Nothing, we didn't do anything to them.
Drunken Woman: No really. I just had one, what did you do to them?
Me: Nothing. We're here with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. We're just handing out doughnuts and root beer floats to bless the neighborhood.
Drunken Woman: Oh, ok. Can I have another one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh heh. :-P

The more drunk people I see, the more I realize I never want to be like that.