Thursday, November 17, 2005

Holiday Rant - Right on Time

Last year I had this mini-rant a week before Thanksgiving. Once again I am going to take this day, the Thursday prior to Thanksgiving, to talk about a frustration of mine regarding the holiday season in America.

It doesn't surprise me that once again I am seeing the Christmas season start before Thanksgiving is over, and I still don't like it. I have, however, come to realize that this is part of secular America I'm just going to have to live with. Yesterday while I was driving home, I heard something on the radio that made it worse. I was listening to K-LOVE, a national Christian music station. They starting talking about Christmas. I immediately thought, "great, even the Christian media can't be patient." They said something like "Christmas is about..." followed by some list. I don't really remember what all went in there, except the last one, "...and shopping." At first I figured that they were going to make some sarcastic point, but no, it was all about K-LOVE's Biggest Christmas Ever! In particular, a contest that will send the winners to the Mall of America for a $1000 shopping spree.

It is incredibly upsetting to me that a radio station claims to be about Jesus, but is seeking to build up holiday shopping excitement rather than excitement about celebrating the gift of Jesus' birth.

2 comments:

Philip said...

Thanks for the encouragement to do that. I was already thinking about it, but hadn't taken the time to do so. I will probably do so this weekend.

Anonymous said...

the Christian station up here is doing a thing to give people airline tickets to visit family for Christmas. That seems closer to what we ought to be focused on at Christmas.
I got fed up with the Christian radio station I listened to in LA. They made a big deal about how even their advertising was kid-safe and all that. But it didn't feel safe to me -- it seemed like half the ads were for luxury vehicles or various expensive cosmetic treatments. True, they aren't evil things, but I think a wine advertisement is more harmless. So I was fed up, but never did anything about it. I wish I had. You should write that letter.