Thursday, January 20, 2005

IJM

Tuesday night I went to a meeting about IJM (International Justice Mission), run by people from Church. It consisted of hearing updates on IJM's work in Latin America and then praying for them and for their specific needs. It was a really great joining in community to pray about issues of world justice and pray for those that are working toward those ends. My understanding is that the sub-groups of IJM we were praying for were the ones specifically supported by our Church.

I also learned that Gary Haugen, founder and president of IJM, will be the guest speaker for our Church retreat in April. I am a bit disappointed to know that I won't be able to go. Fortunately that is offset by my excitement in knowing that my Church is focusing a Church retreat on issues of justice in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know which groups of IJM your church is involved with? We did some volunteer stuff in Mumbai, but I also heard of the possibility of operations in Goa and Kolkotta. The IJM parts of our trip definitely fed into my secret agent desires (hidden cameras, secret cell phone messages, being given cash to use for "operations", rondevous with shady underworld characters, entering really scary places, busting through doors, stopping illegal activity, getting detained by local police, etc).

Philip said...

Ok, it took me a while, but I finally checked with someone on the missions board at my Church. We specifically support some of the IJM work in Latin America. My Church does not currently support any of IJM's work in other parts of the world.