Monday, January 03, 2005

Blackout

As I often do on Sundays, I went to Church yesterday. During communion there are pairs of people available to pray for you. I went up to receive some prayer. While they were praying for me, I started feeling a bit nauseous, then dizzy. After they finished praying for me, I started walking back to go sit down. After just a few steps, everything went black. I turned around to try to find the people that had been praying for me.

My memory is a bit hazy on what happened next. Someone helped me sit down in the nearest pew. I kept my head down for a bit and soon felt somewhat better. Some people around me asked how I was feeling. A man came over who seemed to be some sort of doctor. He told me his specific title, but I don't remember what it was. Someone else brought me a bottle of water and some crackers. They asked me all sorts of questions.

I was sitting next to one of the pastors, I think he was the person that helped me sit down. He mentioned that he was surprised I hadn't fainted. Apparently my face had gone very white.

A little later in the service, after I was feeling fairly normal again, it was time for more worship. They asked us all to stand up. I suddenly wondered if I would be able to, or if I would black out again. I was able to stand and didn't have any more problems. Worship really hit me in a new way. For the first time, I realized that it was only by God's will that I was able to stand and worship Him.

For the record, there were a few factors that may have contributed to my blackout. I had been fasting the previous day (no food, only water), so my body chemistry was a little out of whack. As I was going up for prayer, I rolled my ankle so blood may have been flowing more to my foot and less to my head. Hopefully this won't happen again. If it does, I will definitely go see a doctor.

No comments: