Saturday, June 25, 2005

Um... We Don't Make That Version

When I read my Bible often feel like I wander around a little, not really knowing what to read. I like to read a little bit from a lot of different places, but I also don't like flipping around all over the place and keeping a bunch of bookmarks in my Bible. The short version is that I decided to get a One Year Bible. This will also make sure that I finally get around to reading all of those Old Testament books that I've never gotten around to. I had a few disappointments when I went to get one, but still decided to buy it. First, I was hoping to find it in NRSV, but as far as I could tell they don't print it in that version. Second, they only print versions that start on January 1st. I was starting on June 22nd and they don't print a version like that. Oh well, I think I can manage. For the record though, I did not fall five and a half months behind, I just started in the middle of the year. If I stay on track (which it will be a miracle if I never miss a day) I should finish it on June 21st of 2006.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no problem starting in the middle. You know enough about the Bible that you won't be totally confused with the plotlines you've jumped into. I know several people who've started a One year Bible in the middle. However, you can also find "One year Bible plans" which you can use as a guide while still using your own Bible. The LBW has 2 one-year plans, but I don't think they cover every book.

Philip said...

With a regular Bible I'd still end up flipping around to read different parts of the Bible every day. The way this is set up it just makes it easy to read OT, NT, Psalms, and Proverbs every day. This one just makes it easy to do that because it reorganizes things into daily readings that include all of those. I guess really it just helps people like me who are just a little too lazy to keep track of where they are in four different places. There are plenty of plans online for doing such things, it's just a matter of keeping track of where you are in all of them and how far you are supposed to go each day. Having it divided that way just makes it easy enough that I'm likely to stick to it.