Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Letter of the Law

This weekend I read through the California Driver's Manual so I can make sure to pass the written test and get a California license. Overall it was pretty boring, however I did learn something about the appropriate use of firearms while driving.
It is illegal to shoot firearms on a highway or at traffic signs.
This leaves me with several questions:
  1. Is it legal to use firearms in all other circumstances while driving?
  2. When it says "at a sign" does that mean you can't shoot at the sign itself, or you can't shoot at anything while you are located at a sign?
Although the manual doesn't mention firearms again, I think there are other laws that may come into play.
Don't litter the roadside with bottles, cans, paper or anything else. The law says you may be fined up to $1000 and you may be forced to pick up what you threw away. Littering convictions are shown in your driving record. (Emphasis mine)
So your real incentive not to shoot off your firearms the rest of the time is that you will be penalized for littering the roadside with bullets. I certainly don't want my driving record to show that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh heh. It would be a bad idea to litter the roads with bodies or car wrecks, too. :-P