Monday, July 18, 2005

Weekend in LA

As I mentioned on Friday, I went down to LA last weekend. The primary motivator to get me down there was a LAUP (Los Angeles Urban Project) alumni luncheon. I also took the opportunity to visit a few other people and stop by IKEA on my way back. It was generally a wonderful weekend, although I had forgotten how bad LA traffic could get. Multiple times I was stuck in traffic that I almost wondered if I would ever get out of.

The LAUP gathering was wonderful. Four of the six people from my team last summer were there. The two that missed have large bodies of water separating them from California, so I guess that's excusable. I don't think I've seen more than one of them at a time since last summer. Even just having four of us together sure brought back some great memories.

I had never been to an IKEA before, but I'd heard a lot of good things about them, and my room seemed a little low on furniture. I was quite impressed with their selection and prices. The furniture generally isn't fancy, but it seems quite sturdy and is very functional. Not everything was cheap, but enough of it was that I didn't have any trouble finding what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. Another benefit of IKEA (depending on your viewpoint) is that you get to assemble the furniture yourself. For me, that's kind of a fun thing to do. I stayed up until 2-something in the morning putting it together. I didn't quite finish, but only because Mr. Cook (my apartment-mate) pointed out that the other people in our building may not appreciate the sound of hammering in the middle of the night. I finally have a room that is almost set up.

No comments: