Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Future of Philip and Work

As many of you know, I am currently working at Toyon Research Corporation as a paid intern through the end of January. Then I'll be in Calcutta, India for four months. So I at least know sort of what my life will be like through mid-June of 2005. However, I don't know is much of anything about my life when I return from Calcutta.

There is a possibility that Toyon will want to hire me on longer term. In fact my boss seems fairly favorable to that idea, except that I can't tell him much about what I'll want when I get back. It looks like I will probably at least work long enough to tackle my college debt, except that I don't know where God may lead me after Calcutta. My boss said he would look into making me an offer of "permanent part-time." I would only work eight or so months of the year, and my benefits would be scaled accordingly. At first I didn't think much of that idea, but it's starting to grow on me. Being able to spend 3-4 months of the year in the mission field or some such thing might be a good balance. I guess I'll wait and see on that one.

Another possible option is Honeywell. Thanks to Rose, I'll be heading down to Torrance this weekend to interview with them. I'm certainly not ready to make a commitment to them either, but for now I'd like to keep my options open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you think Honeywell would want a chemist at any point? It seems like everybody and their mom (who also just happens to be an engineer) is going to be working there...
+Jordy

jonathan said...

yah - rosey's just rolling out the hook-ups.