Monday, February 28, 2005

Letting My Heart Break

In downtown Kolkata there is a road I walk down nearly every day. Along the sidewalk there are many merchants, some beggars, and always a steady flow of people. Of at the side of the road, just before the subway entrance there is a man overlooked and forgotten by this world. Unlike many beggars, he won't follow you for a block or more asking for money. He won't even hold out his hand, or rather he can't. He doesn't have any arms. All he does is lay face down on a thin blanket waving an 8 inch stump that should be a left arm. Every day when I see him I look away and speed up my pace to get past him quickly. Like the rest of this city, I want to forget him and pretend he doesn't exist. The "generous" people will throw a rupee or two on the blanket next to him. I don't even know what good that does. As far as I can tell, he cannot get himself up off of the ground. Certainly he cannot pick up the coins save perhaps in his mouth. Still, who am I to criticize when I will do nothing for him.

Yesterday at Church the reality of my hard heart hit me. I realized that I was too scared and selfish to let my heart break for him or any other beggar on the street. It wasn't a pleasant reality, but that's what I saw. After Church I got out my journal and wrote down my commitment: I would try to love him. I had no idea how, or if I would even succeed. All I knew was that the way to a softer heart was to start by letting my heart break for this one man.

On my way home that afternoon I made sure to walk the route that went by him. As I approached the area I hoped that he wouldn't be there, that I would have an excuse not to love him. Fortunately my heart of stone did not have its wish. As always, he was there. I walked up to him, bent down, and spoke a Bengali greeting, one of the few things I know how to say. I quickly discovered that to be the limit of our ability to converse. I asked a passing Indian man if he knew English, and then to help translate. I asked if I could get him some food, and he said he would love to eat anything. I went back up the street and bought a 7 rupee egg roll. I returned and crouched while hand feeding him.

When I was done I said goodbye, stood up, and got quite a surprise. There was a crowd of at least thirty Indians (probably more) surrounding me and watching. All eyes were on me. I didn't know what to do, so I just walked around the crowd to go to the subway station. One man came up to me and said sometime along the lines of "You did an excellent job." I thanked him, talked with him for a bit, and then caught a train home. Although simple and few, his words really touched me. Through him I heard Jesus speak to me, "Well done good and faithful servant." It wasn't that I had done any great deed. Rather, I had simply been willing to let my heart break for this man and out of that I gave a simple gift of love. Although God used me to bless this man, I was also truly blessed to serve him.

Please pray for this man. Pray for me as I continue learning how to love him. I cannot let his silent cry for help and for love go unanswered. Also pray for me and for the entire team that we would learn to love all of the poor we encounter on the streets of Kolkata.

8 comments:

Chequelin said...

Thanks for sharing Phil.

Anonymous said...

Philip, your stories are such an inspiration for those of us back at St. Andrew. I can just picture myself walking past this beggar just as you first did. It took a lot of courage to be the good Samaritan in a strange land and I congratulate you. Keep the stories coming. Rick L.

Anonymous said...

Philip - Your mom shared your web site with me so that I can pray for you ( and for her) as you are ministering. We are studying 2 Corinthians Ch 8-13 this week and the truth of God's grace. Your posting of 2/28 so clearly illustrates God's grace that if you don't mind I would like to share it with the BSF leaders.

2 Cor 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
Fran R

jonathan said...

I think what I appreciated most about you retelling this was the fact that you sought out a translator to help you. That's where it would have broken down for me. I want to serve, but I am so easily ashamed about what I am doing that I try to hide in a corner when I do it. Not for the good "do not you right hand know what your left hand is doing" reason, but because I think people will think I'm stupid, or naive, or doing it wrong. I've even failed to give when I was with OTHER CHRISTIANS because I can be so stupid about this shame. Your boldness in asking for a translator is going to motivate me next time it comes up.

Anonymous said...

Awesome.

Philip said...

Yes, feel free to share any of my stories at much as you like with anyone you want. Anything I write here I write intending for it to be public knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Philip,

I met you at breakfast at the Mother House on the day before I left after serving for just 3 weeks at Prem Dan and Kalighat. I too passed that same man nearly every day and wanted so much to do just what you described. At first I looked away. Next, I tried to tell myself that this man must be in one of those beggar gangs and that he doesn't get the money he begs for daily, and that someone must be using him to get money because surely he can't be alone. He even get up by himself.

I am humbled by your actions, and wish I had had the courage to stop and communicate as you did. To love this man as you did. God is surely working through you... thank you for answering his call, and allowing him to work through you. You will be in my prayers as your journey continues.

To those reading this...Who are the people like this man with only an 8 inch stump in your lives? Who you have excused away? Who is it that God is calling you to love today? I know I will be discerning how I can turn my weakness in Kolkata into a strength here at home. God Bless!

mishi said...

it breaks my heart. God bless you Phil. I will be praying.