Thursday, February 24, 2005

Stories

To help us get to know each other more intimately, we have started telling our life stories to the group. It started on Monday night with the three Word Made Flesh staff telling their stories. We continued last night with four stories from servant team members. We had each signed up for slots, so it wasn't a surprise who was going when. I started the evening off. I had taken some time that morning to journal two pages of bullet points to help organize my thoughts. In sharing, I was able to share some of the most broken, shameful details of my life. There were several things in there that I had never shared before, and now I was in a room with 14 other people that I have known for less than a week.

When I finished they clapped for me. Two people quickly volunteered to pray for me. We all held hands during the prayer. I started to weep as they prayed for me. I felt such an incredible love in the room. The woman directly on my right was one of the ones praying for me. She will be sharing on Friday night and told me that my openness really encouraged her to be open when she tells her story. I think it is one of the mysteries of Christian community that the more broken you are able to be with each other, the more you are able to share God's love with each other.

Please pray that as we continue our stories tonight and tomorrow night we would be able to grow as a broken, honest, and supportive community rooted in the love of Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bro,
I rejoice knowing that you are experiencing all of this. God bless. It bring tears of joy in my own brokeness knowing that you have chosen to serve this way. My respect to you my friend and brother. May God be with you and break even further so you can love far beyond yourself.


SC

Anonymous said...

That was a very touching story Phillip. Make God watch over you and all of your friends and brothers in India.