Saturday, February 26, 2005

Slowing Down

As a fast paced, efficiency-minded American, Kolkata has a lot to teach me about slowing down. I am already discovering just how important of a lesson this will be for me. I hope it is a lesson I can cling to when I return to the United States. Certainly while I am here, my ability to slow down will greatly enhance my ability to process what I am going through, as well as keep myself centered on Jesus.

A few ways that I've noticed slowing down as part of my experience:
  • There is an afternoon nap time when many shops close down for about three hours.
  • I received strong encouragement to take a break in the chapel during my first day at Kalighat. This meant not spending as much time being "productive."
  • People start showing up for a "10am" Church service at about 10:20am.
  • When I arrived for my first day at Nabo Jibon, I was about 45 minutes late. In my head I was racing to start working as quickly as possible. The brother that greeted me directed me to go upstairs and start with a cup of tea.
  • During our orientation with the Missionaries of Charity, they told us that we should take days off whenever we need the extra rest.

I've also been noticing a weird dynamic about time in myself. I hate rushing other people because I know it can stress them out or can be flat out rude. I also hate being late when someone has set a specific time for something. This is even worse when the person makes a point of telling me that they appreciate promptness, as is the case with our team leader, Kristin. The worst situation is when I'm trying to get a group I'm part of somewhere on time. I feel bad if we're late and I feel bad if I rush them. In the end I usually just stress myself out without changing much of anything.

Please pray that I (and the team) would be learn to slow down and take life at a reasonable pace. You might even consider praying about that for yourself. I'm beginning to think that just about every American I know rushes through life at least a little too fast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

merican, or maybe Western, expected lifestyle.I pray that God wil give you a consciousness of the best pace for you. kThanks for your blog entries. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Much love,
Grandma V

TPB said...

True that, Phil. I miss the slow pace/people-oriented lifestyle in Asia. I pray that you will enjoy it while you can!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm a fairly layed back American with a comparatively slow pace. I'm not sure how I measure up to India, though. ;-)