Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Exhausting

It hit me again today just how exhausting Kolkata is. I stayed up a bit too late last night talking with people, and was a little low on sleep going into the day. Nothing like what I used to pull at Mudd though. The bus rides generally wear me out quite a bit. The combination of a very bumpy ride, poor seats (if I even get a seat), the heat (which is still going to get a lot worse while I'm here), and the general stench of the city just combine in bad ways for me. I often feel nauseous while riding the buses.

Today was like that, plus a little added excitement on the way to Nabo Jibon. When I got there, I went over to the boys side and spent some time playing with them. I was really enjoying myself, and they were laughing, yelling, and generally showing signs of enjoyment. After being there for a bit over an hour though, I just hit a wall. I suddenly didn't have any energy. I went upstairs and laid down on a bench in the dining room.

When I got up it was the morning tea break, and some of the brothers asked me if I was feeling alright. I talked to them a bit, and they suggested I may be dehydrated. I already suspected that I hadn't been doing a great job of making sure to drink enough. One of them helped me mix up something that he said would help me retain water. It was a mixture of freshly squeezed lemon, salt, sugar, and water. It didn't taste great, but it didn't taste bad either. It was just kind of weird. I had some more water then, as well as with lunch, and I've been feeling pretty good ever since. I'm definitely planning to work harder at pushing fluids during the day.

No comments: