Friday, March 18, 2005

It's Tough Being a Kid

Today at Nabo Jibon I spent a lot more time than usual with the handicapped boys. There was one boy in particular I spent most of my time with. It's hard to tell age, but I would guess that he's probably around twelve. His right arm is currently in a cast (new as of the last week or so). I'm assuming he broke it, but I haven't heard any official story. Anyway, he clearly doesn't like it. Whenever I could keep him occupied he was fairly happy, but as soon as he remembered he had a cast, he would start crying and trying to pull the cast off. Whenever that started, there wasn't much I could do until he just broke out of it.

I can't really imagine what it must be like for him. He's smart enough that he can speak a little, although I can't understand what he's saying. He probably doesn't, however, understand why he has the cast on his arm. To him it is probably just a burden, something that prevents him from interacting with the world in the ways he is used to. It also seems unlikely that he knows it is only temporary. He likely assumes that he will always be this way, and will never get his arm back.

I don't know what to do for him. I would hold his left hand, I would hug him, I even sang to him. I will have plenty more opportunities to love him in the midst of this particular suffering, I just wish I knew how.

No comments: