Monday, March 14, 2005

Rickshaws

India has a form of transportation that is pretty much unknown to Americans. I am referring to their use of rickshaws. The rickshaws come in three varieties:
  • Rickshaws: These are the originals. They are a cart with a small bench seat and are pulled by a man on foot. My understanding is that these are no longer used... except in Kolkata.

  • Bike Rickshaws: These are similar to the regular rickshaws, except that a bicycle is attached to the front so it can be pulled by pedal rather than by foot. Still, the energy to more the passenger is still provided by a man.

  • Auto Rickshaws: These look sort of like golf carts. They have both a front and a back seat, and are powered by a small engine. Based on my observation, the controls seem to be similar to a motorcycle. Unlike the previous two types, which are hired like taxis, the auto rickshaws run along a specific route, similar to a bus, except the routes are much shorter. It is fairly common for 6 or more people (including the driver) to crowd into a single auto rickshaw.
Thus far I have only used the auto rickshaws. I don't use them a lot because it is kind of scary to have one leg hanging out the side of a crowded auto (nickname) when you pass a bus going the opposite direction. Still, when I'm late, lazy, or suicidal, they can come in handy.

I feel sort of conflicted about the other ones. A large part of me is repulsed by the idea of paying someone else to carry me around, especially since I'm already a rich, white foreigner. It feels like I would just be using them like an animal. Also, since they are human powered, any distance they can take me I can probably travel by foot without too much trouble. As a result, I haven't used either a bike or foot powered rickshaw.

I'm starting to see another side of it though. The rickshaw wallahs (pullers) are all living in poverty and many are trying to support a family. They have chosen to work a back breaking job rather than choosing to beg for money. As it is they are probably just barely scraping by, and in many cases I suspect they make less money than some of the professional beggars. So now I'm contemplating if it may actually be better to make use of them to support the hard working wallahs.

I feel so conflicted, I want to support them, but I don't want to de-humanize them. For any and everyone out there reading this, what would you do?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.....I guess I would look on it as honest work. As you say, they are attempting to feed their families and avoid begging. In the U.S. we eat much food that is picked by entire families of migrant workers who work very hard for little money and live in relative squalor. Yes, it is easier because they are not in your face but it is still honest work.

Use their services and pay them generously.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I would wonder about is the image it would portray. You're probablly being sterotyped as a rich and lazy American to some extent, so having the locals see you spending money to have them carry you because you're too lazy may not be the best way to boost the American image. But at the same time, I really have no idea how Indians, especially in Kolkata, view Americans, so I don't know if any of the above applies here, but it was the first thing I thought of. But if you do ride them, I'd be sure to pay generously, as Rick suggests.

jonathan said...

I think I would have the same conflict as you for a while, but I'd end up doing it, and then paying them really well (heck, carrying me around would deserve a huge payment). As far as contributing to the stereotype of Americans as rich and lazy, what's wrong with that? Isn't it true?

btw - in Mumbai we only have autorickshaws, so I never had the dilemma (although I did see them in Delhi). Autorickshaws were our major means of transportation, far better than walking and cheaper than a cab. What are the typical rates for the three rickshaws over there?

Philip said...

Thanks for the input. I'll probably at least start using the bike rickshaws. I'd certainly thought about making sure to pay them well. I don't really know how much bike or foot rickshaws cost. I may depend on distance, but I'm not sure. As far as I can tell, autorickshaws are always 3 rupees. Then again, I've only used them on the exact same stretch of road between our apartment and the Metro (subway).

Oh, and yes I'm probably overanalyzing this, but it really can do a number to you emotionally to see it. When I see a man that looks like he's in his 60's pulling around two young, plump foreigners using his bare feet just makes me cringe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Philip,

Here's a tidbit for you. Kolkata is the only city left in the entire world that still has human pulled rickshaws. Apparently over 100,000 people rely on them for their main income and therefore source of food.

I did use human rickshaws while i was there. I asked the going rate... let's say we agreed on 20 rupees...then when we got to the destination, I would confirm the rate, and then give 50-100 rupees.

Some of the people that volunteer down there were frustrated with my giving such a high rate, because they said it threw the economics off. You can check out my post on rickshaws on our website

http://www.bethechangenow.org

I looked at it as giving an extra large tip.

Another thing I used to do, is to walk half way with the rickshawwallah while doing my best to talk to him. I also would buy him a water, or something to eat.

We also actually found some who let us pull them...try it sometime if you can... it is pretty tough. You are in my prayers friend!

jonathan said...

3 rupees?!? Wow, people are definitely poorer in Kolkatta. In Mumbai the least for an autorickshaw was 10 rupees, and I've paid far more than that for very long trips (although still less for the same thing in a cab).

And pulling a rickshaw yourself would be sweet. :)

Anonymous said...

Go ahead and pay the person, but then pull *him* where *you're* going instead!

I think that would be pretty surprising and be a gesture that would make it clear you want to enter into understanding and love with him.

And it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to ask if you could pull him. (your language peeps would know, I imagine!)

- Anonymous monk. Haha!

Anonymous said...

Whoops! Just saw that Michael had the same idea. Well, let's just say this course of action is twice as weighty now.

-AM