Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Umm... NO!

Sunday night, while I was waiting for some fried rice at a food stand in our neighborhood, I had a guy approach me and then pull me off to the side. He asked me if I wanted sex because he knew a woman. I made it quite clear to him that I was not interested. He then assured me that she was not a prostitute. He said she liked me. I find this very odd since cultural barriers have prevented me from talking to any of the women in my neighborhood. I'm wondering if she is a woman that wants to get herself attached to a rich American so that she can leave India and poverty. I once again made it clear to him that I was completely uninterested. We then spent about ten minutes talking about my Christian moral convictions about sex. I get the impression he found this hard to believe because of (A) American media and (B) the view that all Americans are Christian. In any case, it was a weird, uncomfortable conversation, and I suspect that it won't be the only time while in Kolkata that I will be approached in that way.

1 comment:

jonathan said...

wow...that's so weird. Hmmm...the easiest explanation was that they do this on a regular basis, and any side stories are just part of the attempt to sell sex.