Saturday, March 26, 2005

Was That Culturally Appropriate?

Yesterday during Holi, I pretty much hid inside all day until the afternoon when it had died down and I had to go to my language lesson. At one point Todd decided to go up to the roof to watch the festivities. While Todd was gone, I heard a knock at the door, and figured it was him needing to be let back in. To my surprise, it was a middle-aged Indian man. He commented that I was new and introduced himself to me. He then said something like, "Today is the Holi day" and began to reach into a bag filled with bright colored paint powder...

I shut the door in his face. Perhaps that wasn't the nicest thing to do, but I really didn't want paint getting all over me and my clothes.

On a side note, I did end up getting a little paint on my clothes today when someone threw a paint balloon at the window of a bus I was in. There are only a few specs here and there, but it's still frustrating. From what I've heard about this paint, I doubt it will come out completely, if at all.

No comments: