Sunday, May 01, 2005

AIDS Home

Yesterday evening our team visited one of the two Word Made Flesh children's homes in Chennai. It is a home for children affected by AIDS. Some of the kids have/had (I'm not sure if there are any currently) HIV/AIDS. The larger purpose for the home, however, is to take in children that have lost their parents to AIDS. About half of the kids actually still have a parent, but the parent is near death and unable to care for them. The home is currently run by an Indian couple in their 50's. They have such a clear love for the Lord and for these children. The children were all pretty crazy. I'm not sure exactly how many there were, thirty or so perhaps? The younger kids only spoke Tamil, so playing with them had to be done entirely with non-verbal communication. This makes, "I'm tired, please stop climbing on me!" even harder to get across than it already tends to be with kids. Since we were only there for an evening, I didn't get as good of a feel for the place as at Tammy's. Still, I'm so glad that I got a chance to see a little bit more of what Word Made Flesh does in India.

No comments: