Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Kolkata is Heating Up

Well, that wonderful stretch of cool weather seems to be over. The past few days there hasn't been any rain, and Kolkata has been heating up. According to the paper, yesterday's temperature ranged between 80 and 100 degrees F (It's in degrees C in the paper, but I'm nice enough to do the conversion for you). By itself that wouldn't be too awful, but then there's the humidity that ranged from 55% up to 94%. Fortunately I spent most of the day inside under a ceiling fan, so I did alright with the heat.

Unfortunately things are likely to only get worse. Predictions are that the temperature will be rising over the next few weeks, probably settling down around 110-115 degrees F. Also, I'm not going to just spend every day sitting idle under a fan (although the idea has pretty high appeal to me). This morning at Nabo Jibon I thought I was going to die of heat stroke if I didn't just melt first. I was outside in a semi-shaded area being a little bit active with some of the boys. I was drenched in sweat and the heat felt nearly unbearable. By 9:15am I had to go inside and take a break. I drank a bunch of water and rested for a while until I felt better. After that I tried to take it easier for the rest of the morning. Coming back on the bus today wasn't any fun either. Being crammed up against men you don't know is bad enough, but when it's hot and everyone is sweating like crazy, it gets even worse.

Please pray that God will bring back the rain and cool Kolkata down. I'd prefer wading through sewage to death by heat stroke.

No comments: