Thursday, May 05, 2005

Scary

Walking down the streets of Kolkata, just a dozen feet before I entered this internet cafe, I witnessed something that kind of scared me. There was a boy (twelve or so maybe?) standing at the street corner in a daze. I'm pretty sure he is mentally handicapped. I get this impression from the way he carried himself, the daze that he was in, and the fact that he wasn't wearing anything more than a shirt, yet didn't seem to care. In all honesty though, nothing about that seems all that out of place for Kolkata. The thing that scared me was that he was carrying a knife that looked pretty sharp. He was just sort of moving it around without seeming to have any real awareness of where it was going. It just seemed like such a danger both to him and to anyone walking by.

No comments: