Saturday, May 21, 2005

Thank You George

Our team took the day off of work yesterday to see the very first showing of Star Wars Episode III that we could find in Kolkata (11am). I really, really, really enjoyed it. My enjoyment may have been amplified a bit since this is the first new movie* I've seen since I hit Kolkata in February. I was skeptical of whether or not George Lucas would really make the dark movie that was needed to bridge the gap from episode 2 to 4. I can say without hesitation that he did exactly that, and did it very well. In fact I'm even willing to forgive certain past sins simply because it provided the setup for such a great movie.

Anyway, I'm not going to say anything more about the movie itself. Rather, I want to mention some of the interesting differences of watching a movie in Kolkata. First of all, people clapped during the movie. It wasn't just once or twice either, it was more on the order of a dozen times. Fortunately there was only one time when the clapping took place during dialog. Most of the time is was during loud battles. Second, when we got to an "on the edge of your seat" moment about half way through the movie, the screen went black and the sound stopped. In about half a second (just long enough for my minor heart attack) the screen displayed "Intermission." Apparently movies in Kolkata have intermissions about half way through. It was probably for the best anyway, because both Todd and I needed a bathroom break. After a fairly short intermission (five minutes maybe?) the movie resumed without warning.

Anyway, it was a nice little escape from Kolkata. Now I just wish I could go rewatch four, five, and six to see how all of it ties together.


*I got to rewatch a few movies while we were at Tammy's.

3 comments:

Philip said...

I cannot say from first hand experience, but I'm told that Indians always clap during movies regardless of what the movie is or how new it is. I guess this just happened to be one of the few cases where Americans clap too, although probably not at all of the same places.

jonathan said...

I be sorta interested to hear why you liked it so much. I was rather disappointed - partly cause the dialogue and acting were really bad, but also because the plot just didn't convince me.

And, on a related note, I just read this article that makes a case that the Empire isn't even really bad:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/248ipzbt.asp?pg=1

Philip said...

Maybe I'll talk to you about it once I'm back in America. Hopefully you'll understand that I don't want to debate about movies online while I'm in Kolkata. As for that article, I'll read it once I'm back in America.